Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dear Beckett, you're 21 months old...

Dear Beckett,

I have to admit, this is not my favorite age. It's not really you, I don't think as I didn't really care for this age when your sister hit it either, so it's nothing personal. I love you, but man oh man, you certainly try my patience daily. While your language skills continue to grow, you want to be able to tell me things that you just can't tell me. And that frustrates you, so you throw a tantrum. And that frustrates me. And then we're both frustrated, and that's just not a good combination. Thank goodness, I know this is short-lived.

20101130EParty (41)

But while we're talking about frustrations, let me tell you about my absolute least-favorite I've ever faced as a parent. Your fits upon waking from a nap. Two or three times per week, you wake up in a snit. You scream and throw yourself around, and nothing, I mean nothing, makes you happy. I've tried snacks, juice, rocking, singing (yeah, I know, that doesn't make anyone happy), tv shows, books, leaving you alone, trying to engage you, leaving you in your crib, taking you out of your crib. I just don't know what it is. I've talked to numerous friends and family about it, I checked with the pediatrician, and the conclusion is I just have to wait until you outgrow it. Let me tell you, if you weren't so darn adorable, it'd be even more infuriating. Those long lashes and blonde curls are going to save you time and time again, I believe.

IMG_7659

You love Mickey Mouse and going to Disney. You remember exactly where to go to get on each ride, although you have negative patience when it comes to waiting in line. I'd think it was your age, but your dad is just like that, so I assume it's genetic. Or maleness. Either way, keeping you occupied in line is a bit of a struggle, but it's worth it to see your sheer joy on Dumbo or "The Baby Ride (It's a Small World)."

You are still obsessed with shoes, and it drives me bonkers. You want them on and off and on and off and on and off. One night, I was picking up the family room after you'd gone to bed, and there were SEVENTEEN shoes in the family room, courtesy of you. Seriously.

You continue to sleep well. It's so wonderful to have a good sleeper. You lay right down for your nap and do the same at nighttime. You sleep with a Mickey Mouse stuffed animal under one arm, a Detroit Tigers monkey under the other, and your butt hiked up in the air. Other than that whole waking up as a terror bit, you are a great sleeper, and I thank you for that. In fact, I love you dearly for that. Sleep is not overrated, especially as a tired parent.

20110121

Your favorite toy is probably books. You love looking at them, having them read to you, carrying them around, 'reading' them aloud, and occasionally chewing on them. I love that you love books, as reading is one of my favorite things to do. I can think of very few things I'd cherish more than if you became a voracious reader like me.

As you speed towards your second birthday, it amazes me how much you pick up just by being around other kids and your sister. You'll blurt out a word I didn't even know you knew, or you'll point to something in a book that I didn't know you could identify, and I am amazed. You are an amazing little boy with an amazing personality. I am so blessed to be your mom, and I love you so much, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment