Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dear Beckett, you're 2 years old...

Dear Beckett,

My baby is growing up! It's surreal for me to think about these last 3+ years. It's been all baby, baby, baby for me. From your sister as a baby to having two under two to you still being under two, that's been my life for three full years. And now you went and turned two on me, and I had a realization that we are quickly moving beyond the baby years. I've been looking forward to that for quite some time, but now that it's happening, I'm not so sure I'm ready to move on.

But, you are two now. And you are acting every bit of it. Whiny, temper tantrums, crying over every little thing, whining, whiny, whining. Did I mention the whining? There are days where I swear I am going to lose it with the whining. Why was I so anxious to move beyond the baby years? You didn't whine when you were still an infant.

20110115-4

Beyond the whining, however, you have gotten much better behaved. You sit and listen in storytime instead of screeching constantly. You hold my hand in the parking lot and don't try to bolt. You obey simple instructions. You play nicely (sometimes) with your sister. In fact, one of my favorite things to do is listen to you two play together. It often goes like this:

Elise: blah blah blah blah...Right, Beckett?
You: Riiiiiight.

Elise: blah blah blah blah...Right, Beckett?
You: Riiiiiight.
Elise: blah blah blah blah...Right, Beckett?
You: Riiiiiight.
Elise: blah blah blah blah...Right, Beckett?
You: Riiiiiight.
Elise: blah blah blah blah...Right, Beckett?
You: Riiiiiight.

It's music to my ears. I seriously could listen to you two play together (nicely) all day.

You continue to be my sweet boy. You'll often lay your head on my shoulder and want me to rub your back. You love to give kisses and hugs. You tell me "awt you" when I tell you I love you. And the other day, you told me you loved me unprompted. Kid, that would have been a good time to ask for your first car.

20110216-07

Meal time continues to be a bit of a struggle. You like eating, and you're actually a pretty good eater. However, if your sister is done eating, you are suddenly "All DONE!" and ripping your bib off and trying to get down as quickly as possible. And then you're still hungry. And then it's a battle to get you to eat at the table.

Now, remember how we talked about what a good sleeper you were and how I loved you for it? I thought you'd taken that conversation to heart, but apparently not, because YOU'VE GIVEN UP YOUR NAP. For all that is holy and good, why? Why? You still sleep like a champ at night, but I cherished your nap time. I've tried to get you to nap, but all you do is scream of 45 min, so I've given up. Sigh. I am not happy about that.

20110217-12

Your vocab is fantastic. You speak in five and six word sentences. One of your favorite things to say is "I no wanna xyz" or "I really wanna xyz." It's so funny when you say it, because you are very emphatic, too. In fact, I think you've been talking in sentences much longer than we gave you credit for. Sorry about that!

Your biggest success these past few months is probably learning to swim underwater. You are so cute about it. You just step right off the step and go under. You do kick your feet, but not really hard enough to accomplish anything, so while you're down there, you kinda look around and chill out. It cracks me up. You also LOVE to go "uppa, uppa" which means to throw you into the air and let you go under. You will do it repeatedly. You beg for uppa, uppa, uppa constantly when we are in the pool. File that under annoying as well.

IMG_0991

While it may seem that I've talked about your lesser qualities here, you should know that you are my sweet boy. You have a mischievous, sweet grin that gets you out of trouble quite frequently. You ask me "You okay, Mommy>?" every time I cough. You cuddle with me throughout the day. You are the perfect mix of wild and sweet, and that's exactly what I love about you. The mix of who you are. I love you, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment