Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dear Beckett, you're 18 months old...

Dear Beckett,

Let me tell you about one of life's little lessons - sometimes you really want something, but once you get it, you wonder why you really wanted it in the first place. That's how I feel about your mobility. Granted, you've been walking for about 8 months now, but in the past few months, you've also become extremely fast. And determined. Which is a dangerous combo. I call you the "bolter" - the second you are set down or see an open door or a way out, you are off. Off to the races. You might have a future as a race horse.


One of your other not-so-charming traits is this noise you make when you are concentrating. It's a cross between a hum and a whine; it's one-note with no inflections and can go on for 30 min at a time. To say it's infuriating would be an understatement. And while we're talking about infuriating, I find it highly amusing that you like to walk around with one shoe on. Your father, however, does not; it annoys him to no end. So, I often put one shoe on you right before he gets home. Of course, I do it just because it makes you happy, and for no other reason.


Now, one of the things we must talk about is your destructive ways. Boy, you are a one-man wrecking crew. If there is a remote or a phone within 20 feet of you, you will find it. And maybe lose it or permanently disable it. You can climb anything to get what you want, a lesson I learned the hard way when I put a glass full of grape juice up on the counter where you couldn't reach it while I helped Elise go to the bathroom. Apparently, you can reach that counter. Luckily, the grape juice came out of the carpet. You are welcome. You've dropped remotes in the toilet, had dimes in your mouth (repeatedly), eaten things I probably don't even want to know about, fallen off your changing table, broken toys, pulled out HUGE chunks of Elise's hair, and other things probably best not remembered. I'm often glad when 8 pm hits, because I can turn off the constant vigilance of keeping you (and all my stuff) safe.


You continue to sleep well, both for nap and at night. People are always amazed at how easily you go down. You have a great appetite, especially if french fries are involved. You love playing with cars and wrestling with your sister. You say Mommy, Daddy, baby, all done, and a few other things. You also can sing Itsy Bitsy Spider, Ring Around the Rosey, and the Yo Gabba Gabba theme song. However, even though you can speak fairly well, you love to point and grunt if you want something. Have I mentioned if your sister has something, you must also have it? And you let me know you want it while pointing and grunting. Add that to the list of infuriating things you do.


The list of the sweet things you do, however, is much longer than the infuriating one. You love to cuddle on me. You lay right on my shoulder and pat my back. If you are sitting on my lap, you grab my hand to make me pat your belly. Often times while you're playing, you'll run over and give me a quick hug before heading back to play. Repeatedly. You light up when your daddy comes home or when Elise opens your door after nap time. You cuddle the dolls Elise shares with you and often give them kisses.


You were the ring bearer in Uncle Kyle and Aunt Ingrid's wedding earlier this month. I know I'm biased, but you were about the cutest thing ever in your little pin-striped suit. Traveling to Toledo from Orlando with you wasn't fun, but the memories of how cute you were and how you almost stole the show with your antics was worth it.





In fact, a lot of things right now with you aren't fun right now - storytime, meal time, changing diapers - but it is all worth it. Watching your little personality come ramming right through is amazing. Every day, you become more assertive, more confident, more Beckett. You are absolutely perfect just the way you are, the perfect combination of sweet and frustrating, cute and annoying. It makes you you. And I love you, my little boy, exactly as you are. I love you, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment